For the last 17 years Mother's Day had been a very hard holiday for me to celebrate. Seventeen years ago my mother passed away. I was only thirteen years old. Each year would pass; I began to almost hate mother’s day. All I could think was how could all these people only take one day out of the 365 days in the year to say thanks to their mother for all that she does. One day of the year to take her out to eat and treat her like a queen. The one-day to tell her how much she is loved, adored and admired. I would get so mad. My feelings this year are different. It took my son to make me realize this.
There are countless “mothers” in my life and I am thankful for all of them. Even though I lost my mother, many new “mothers” have come into my life and made an impact. There have been many of my friend’s moms there as I was growing up to ask all the girly questions to. As a young adult they would give me advise on life. My family expanded and I gained a stepmother and 2 mothers in law. I was blessed two sisters in laws that are now mothers too. Some of my friends are mothers now too. Now as a mother some of the old and the new mothers are there to help and guide me. I would be lost without them. So to all of you who are mothers, your love goes farther than your children. All the lives your children touch, you touch. Thank you to all of my mothers, especially the one I call mom.
Everyday my son looks into my eyes and gives me the biggest smile he can. Each day is my Mother’s Day!
Everyday mothers need to be told that they are loved, adored and admired. For all of you who’s mothers are still here and have been a strong role model in your life let them know as much as you can how proud you are of them. Please.
Happy Mother’s Day to all my mothers, to all the mothers and especially to my mom.
Saturday, May 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Gosh, that gave me chills, katy! that was really beautiful and very well said. i hope you have an awesome mother's day! :)
That's sweet! It brought tears to my eyes. We love you lots and hope you have a great Mother's Day!
Very touching post. Happy Mother's day to you, and all the mothers in your life.
Love you, Katy. That was great.
Happy First Mother's Day to you!
I have been thinking all day about my own reflections on Mother's Day and how they've changed. For different reasons for me. My mom and I are pretty much estranged. It's for the best but it's hard for me to imagine how unfair that my mom who has no part of my life is here and other mom's who are greatly loved and missed are not. I hope that this is the first of many happier and fulfilled Mom's days for you!
Post a Comment