Friday, May 22, 2009

Green Beans, Glass Jars and Tile Floors...

are not a good mix, especially if you have a two year old in there.





Last Friday Derrick George and I had our first trip to the ER. Derrick was putting away Leah's baby food on her shelf in the pantry.I was at the table feeding Leah. Every other jar he came to me to tell me what it was and what color it is. He was showing me green beans and rice as he was running back to the pantry he tripped over the leg of the high chair and hit the floor with the glass jar of green beans. A loud scream penetrated the room. I fly out of my chair and all I see is blood and beans. First reaction FLIP OUT!! Second reaction 2.2 seconds later ER NOW. I wrapped his arm up in paper towel and scotch tape. Run with Leah to get her dressed (Leah was in nothing but a diaper) while blowing up Hubbys phone. Just as I was heading to the pantry to grab some of Derrick George's snackies and juice boxes (I knew that would keep him happy while waiting in the ER) Hubby walked in to the rescue. I handed of Leah and drove like a bat out of hell to the ER.

4 hours and 9 stitches later we left. It was a very jagged cut and he did sever a tendon. Fortunately he is expected to have a full recovery with no side effects besides a scar.

Special thanks to Nicole out ER nurse and a dear friend to me. She made sure her "Georgie Porgie" is good after all the stitches were done she said she owes him a puppy, lots of candy and to play football. She had to keep him still while the DR did the stitching. If some one asked him what happened the first few days after it happened, he would say, " Cole did it". Thanks Nicole again for your help.

He is still playing non stop like nothing happened. He hates to have us clean it, but I am beginning to think he is pulling my leg a bit. Last night he was laughing while we were patting it dry " it tickles mommy". Stitches come out Monday. Thanks to Molly to for checking it the other night, I was afraid it was getting infected. It is OK.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Ugh! Poor baby boy. I'm so glad it wasn't worse. Glad it isn't bothering him too much.

Anonymous said...

I was afraid of that outcome when I read the title of this post! Sooo sorry that happened-and the four hour wait must have been torture for the both of you!

Katy S. said...

He is a real trooper. We kept entertained in the ER watching UGA baseball and making laps in the ER pretending we were different animals. The nurses loved it when we walked by the station and he would say "hey Ladies". He did cringe ever time he saw the tech who probed his bottom to get his temp.

Beckman Bulletin said...

Poor Guy!! He is one tough boy. I can't imagaine the ER wait. Good work, Mom.

Just 'N Stitches said...

Poor baby :O( It really sucks when our babies get hurt. I've had my handful of ER visits. It's good to know he his doing much better.

Mike said...

Wow good to hear he is fine. Paper towels and scotch tape, you need to ride along with me in Dekalb. that is good improvisation. I feel so left out you didnt call. Take Care